NIPSCO Prepared to Respond to Potential Impacts from Hurricane Sandy Created by kblakeslee on 10/29/2012 6:16:58 PM
Customers Reminded about How to Report Outages and Keeping Informed
MERRILLVILLE, Ind. – As the effects of Hurricane Sandy begin to enter the region, NIPSCO employees and its electric distribution system are prepared to meet the potential challenges posed by high winds forecasted for later tonight into Tuesday across northern Indiana.
The company has taken specific measures to ensure its preparation, including:
· Increasing staffing at customer call center.
· Scheduling extra work crews to handle any system problems.
· Postponing scheduled work that would require equipment to be out of service.
· Putting work crews out in the field to monitor the system and respond quickly to any problems.
As always, NIPSCO will remain in contact with area public officials in the event potential problems arise.
Reporting an Outage
Most important to your safety is to avoid downed power lines, damaged poles or other hazardous situations. Every downed wire should be treated as though it is a live wire.
Once you are in a safe place, you can report the problem a few different ways:
1. On your computer – Visit NIPSCO.com/OutageCenter and enter some basic information about your location.
2. From your smart phone or other mobile device – Search NIPSCO and your device will be automatically directed to our mobile site where you will find a button on the main page to report an outage.
3. Via phone – Call 1-800-4NIPSCO (1-800-464-7726) and follow the automated prompts. You can ask to receive a call back when power has been restored.
Regular updates regarding the current number of customers affected, where outages are located and when power is expected to be restored can be found in a variety of ways, including:
· NIPSCO.com/OutageCenter – Find current information on the status of power outages and estimated restoration times.
· m.nipsco.com – View the same outage map and details on NIPSCO.com from your mobile device.
· Facebook.com/NIPSCO or Twitter.com/NIPSCO – Follow NIPSCO’s progress through popular social media channels to view photos and power restoration updates.
Storm Safety Information
Customers can also prepare for storms by following the customer safety tips below:
· Monitor the weather and know what conditions are forecasted for your area.
· Check to see if shrubs or trees need trimming or if you have any weak limbs. Be particularly careful when working near power lines.
· Compile a storm preparedness kit, including essential medicines, non-perishable food items and water, flashlights, portable radios, extra batteries and a manual can opener.
· If someone in your family requires life support equipment, make prior arrangements for a back-up power supply. This may mean having a back-up power supply such as a generator or going to a health care facility that has back-up power.
· Avoid opening the refrigerator or freezer. Food will stay frozen in a fully loaded freezer for 36 to 48 hours if the doors remain closed. If the freezer is half full, the food will generally keep 24 hours.
Find more storm safety tips and monitor the status of power restoration at NIPSCO.com/OutageCenter.