Medicaid Expansion in Pence's Hands After Session Created by kblakeslee on 4/30/2013 6:35:51 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Gov. Mike Pence is now playing the waiting game with federal officials reviewing Indiana's request to expand Medicaid using its Healthy Indiana Plan medical savings accounts.
Lawmakers wrapped their 2013 session last week without mandating he approve an expansion or giving him guidance on what he should seek from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Indiana filed its application with CMS on April 12. A Pence spokeswoman said Tuesday the state is waiting to hear back on its application, and a CMS spokeswoman said the filing is still being reviewed.
On the table is an estimated $10.5 billion in federal aid that could come at a cost of $2.6 billion to Indiana over seven years. If the state approves an expansion, more than 400,000 residents would receive coverage.