Garrett House Fire Blamed on Torching Spider Webs Created by kmiller on 1/28/2014 7:38:24 AM
GARRETT, Ind. (AP): Authorities say a northeastern Indiana man set his house on fire while using a blow torch to remove spider webs.
LaOtto Fire Chief Jason Lutter says firefighters needed about 15 minutes to put out the fire in the walls of the rural home in southern DeKalb County.
Lutter tells The Star of Auburn that the homeowner said he had been burning out spider webs with a blow torch in the basement Sunday night and thought the fire was out before finding the insulation had caught fire.
The house sustained exterior damage and interior smoke damage.
Lutter says one resident suffered complications from the smoke, but declined treatment at the scene.