FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry’s “North IV” Annexation Plan was questioned by the majority of the City Council Tuesday night.
Council members sat through a presentation on the annexation’s fiscal plan for more than two hours, and six of the nine member board said they had “serious concerns” about its impact, according to the Journal Gazette.
The opposition came after an earlier announcement by Council President Russ Jehl and others earlier in the day about what they felt were major flaws in the plan to add nearly 23 square miles and about 22,000 people to the city limits.
“It’s vital for cities to grow, and the annexation proposal would provide our community with a tremendous opportunity to thrive and succeed,” a statement released by Mayor Henry said.
“This is about sustaining our entire City – every resident – every quadrant – every neighborhood as a place where businesses, individuals and families want to invest and live. Collectively, we must be committed to enhancing job and economic development opportunities to move Fort Wayne and the region in the right direction.”
A final vote on the fiscal portion of the plan will come on May 10th. A potential final vote on the annexation as a whole is expected in August. Read the Fiscal Plan presentation below.