Indiana News

Class-Action Suit Against Indiana BMV to Go to Mediation

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ A class-action lawsuit that says the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles overcharged customers by millions of dollars is set to go to mediation.
 
The Indianapolis Star reports the lawsuit, filed in 2013, alleges the BMV owes drivers possibly as much as $38 million in excessive charges for a number of fees and services. A joint notice of mediation was filed by attorneys for both sides Wednesday.
 
In another class-action lawsuit settled in 2013, the state agency said it would give back $30 million that it overcharged for operator's licenses.
 
The BMV has also said it overcharged drivers another $29 million in excise taxes, as well as another $2 million for a variety of charges. 
 
Gov. Mike Pence announced last month a change in leadership for the BMV and that internal auditors would review the agency's fee structure

Related posts

Much of Northeast Region In The Dark After Monday Storms

Michael McIntyre

49 more Hoosiers die from COVID-19

Caleb Hatch

Jury Selection set to Begin in Woman’s Trial in Baby’s Death

WOWO News