APIndiana News

GOP’s Holcomb says keeping surplus key for Indiana economy

INDIANAPOLIS (AP): Republican gubernatorial candidate Eric Holcomb says protecting Indiana’s big state government surplus and completing some big-budget transportation projects are among the keys for spurring business growth.

Holcomb outlined an economic plan on Tuesday in his first policy announcement since replacing Gov. Mike Pence as the GOP nominee eight weeks ago.

Holcomb says he’ll maintain the fiscal policies of recent Republican governors and the state’s $2.2 billion in cash reserves.

He also wants to build a new I-69 bridge over the Ohio River near Evansville and expand northwestern Indiana’s South Shore commuter railroad. He didn’t specify funding sources.

Democratic candidate John Gregg says businesses were hurt by last year’s religious-objections law uproar, but Holcomb won’t seek a civil rights law expansion to include sexual orientation and gender identity that Gregg supports.

Related posts

School Grade Review to be `Fair and Transparent’

Kylie Havens

Car Fleeing Shooting Hits Indianapolis School Bus

Kayla Blakeslee

Purdue Foundation to Buy 75-Year-Old Church

Kayla Blakeslee

Leave a Comment