Local News

Budget Cuts Could Take Bite Out of Meals on Wheels

  FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) _ Meals on Wheels program organizers in northeastern Indiana say they might have to cut services or staff as a result of federal budget cuts this year.
 
  Connie Benton Wolfe of the Aging & In-Home Services of Northeastern Indiana says agencies rely on federal money to fund the program that has served more than 8 billion meals nationwide since 1972.
 
  Benton tells The Journal Gazette agencies have been told to cut 7 percent to 10 percent. The cuts will take effect in the new fiscal year that starts Oct. 1, but some agencies have already started turning away new clients in preparation.
 
  The Indiana agency served about 161,000 meals to nearly 2,000 clients last year. Its program has a waiting list of about 50 people.

Related posts

Body of Local Serviceman Sent to Dover Following Chattanooga Shooting

WOWO News

Unlikely Source For DNA Sample Aids In Arrest In Lake James Slaying.

Michael McIntyre

Federal Court hears Angola Stripclub case

Dean Jackson