Local News

Remains of Korean War Soldier Returning to Indiana

ANGOLA, Ind. (AP) – The remains of a northeastern Indiana soldier who died in a North Korean prisoner of war camp in 1951 will soon return home.

The Army recently told the family of Cpl. Leland Ford Smith that his remains had been identified from excavations in North Korea. The Herald Republican reports (http://bit.ly/1w3yjZY ) that Smith's remains are to arrive on a Saturday flight to Indianapolis International Airport, with a graveside service planned for Monday near his hometown of Angola.

Louella Root says her brother hitchhiked to Fort Wayne when he was 17 to enlist in the Army.

He was soon sent to the Korean War as an infantryman. Army records show he was wounded in 1950 before being captured later that year and dying of malnutrition at age 18.

  ___
  Information from: Herald Republican, http://www.heraldrepublicanonline.com/

Related posts

National Watermelon Day 2016: 3 simple watermelon recipes

Saige Driver

Tasmanian Devils Returning to Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo

Kylie Havens

Four arrested in Mercer County Monday

Brooklyne Beatty