Indiana NewsLocal News

Florida Man Accused of Torturing Children in Indiana Basement Faces 20 Felony Charges

JONESBORO, Ind. (WOWO) — A Florida man who once lived in Indiana is facing 20 felony charges after children accused him of severe abuse inside a Jonesboro home, according to court documents.

Investigators say the allegations involve four boys, all under the age of 12, who reported being held in a basement and subjected to repeated physical, psychological, and sexual abuse.

Court records also allege the children described being fed only crumbs until they fainted from hunger and being threatened with death if they told anyone what was happening.

One child told police the suspect killed family pets in front of them, including snapping the neck of a kitten and poisoning other animals, according to investigators.

Joshua Chasteen, 28, of Fort McCoy, Florida, is charged with 20 felony counts connected to an investigation that began in January when the alleged victims came forward, according to court documents. He previously lived in Jonesboro, Indiana, at the time of the alleged incidents but later moved to Florida.

What the children reported

Court documents detail accounts from the children describing confinement in a basement, beatings, and ongoing abuse.

Police said one child was so distraught during a statement that officers had difficulty understanding their account.

Investigators also say the oldest child reported being sent to purchase concealer to hide bruises on another victim.

Several children told police they were instructed to lie about injuries and threatened with harm if they disclosed the abuse.

One child also alleged the suspect killed a kitten in front of them after the animal interfered with him, while another said pets were harmed or killed in separate incidents, according to court records.

Adult accounts and prior warnings

Chasteen’s wife told investigators she was aware of some disciplinary actions but believed the children were exaggerating the claims, according to court documents.

She also acknowledged seeing injuries on at least one occasion but said she did not fully investigate due to long work hours.

Court records also indicate a mother of one of the victims said she contacted child services multiple times to report concerns about possible abuse.

By the time investigators spoke with witnesses, Chasteen had already left Indiana and relocated to Florida.

Police contact and alleged threats

When police spoke with Chasteen by phone in January, he denied the allegations and suggested the children were being influenced to lie, according to investigators.

During the call, he allegedly made threats toward the mother of one of the victims.

“If I am charged for something I did not do, you best believe that I will be brought up on charges that I did do,” he said, according to court documents, followed by a threat of violence.

When told the call was being recorded, investigators say he responded, “I don’t care. If I am going to go to jail for no reason, I am going to make sure it is for a reason.”

Court status

The Grant County prosecutor has requested a higher-than-normal bond, citing threats made during the investigation.

Chasteen is currently being held in the Grant County Jail. His initial hearing is scheduled for Wednesday. His most serious charge, a Level 3 felony, carries a maximum sentence of 16 years in prison.

Authorities note the investigation remains ongoing.

Related posts

Man Faces Felony Confinement and Rape Charges

WOWO News

911 caller: Woman’s body in creek seemed battered…

Kayla Blakeslee

State Plans $250M Payment to Settle Unemployment Loans

Tom Franklin

Leave a Comment