INDIANAPOLIS (WOWO): The Indiana Homeland Security Foundation is accepting scholarship applications. High school and college students interested in pursuing a degree and who volunteer for a local public safety organization like a fire department or EMS may be qualified. There are nine scholarships up for grabs, each for either $1,000 or $2,000.
More information follows from a release from the Department of Homeland Security:
A full-time student with at least twelve credit hours is eligible for a $2,000 scholarship. A part-time student with at least six hours is eligible for a $1,000 scholarship. The program funds are intended solely to reimburse eligible student educational expenses.
Revenue from “Secure Indiana” license plate sales funds the Indiana Homeland Security Foundation.
The deadline for applications is July 1, 2014.
Who can apply?
An Indiana resident who is an incoming or continuing student who:
1. Attends or will be attending an accredited Indiana college.
2. Has a grade point average of 2.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
3. Volunteers at a public safety organization such as a fire department, law enforcement agency, emergency management agency (EMA) or emergency medical services (EMS). IDHS will determine compliance eligibility. For more information on the compliance of an organization, contact the council coordinator.
Application will require the following:
1. A complete foundation scholarship application form and an official college or high school (for incoming freshmen) transcript.
2. A recommendation letter from the public safety organization’s chief executive describing the volunteer work completed by the applicant.
3. A resume or list of past employment, awards, honors, and/or volunteer/service activities.
4. A minimum 500-word essay describing why the applicant is applying for this scholarship and why the applicant believes volunteering is important.
5. A completed Vendor Information Form (State Form 53788): http://www.in.gov/auditor/files/SF53788_Vendor_Information.pdf
How to apply
If you are interested in submitting an application, please contact the council coordinator, Mary Fields, at email@example.com and you will be given a vendor form, username and access to the system. The deadline for applications is July 1, 2014. Awards will be announced in January 2015. Questions should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org