Indiana News

Schools Chief Ritz Wants Pence to Seek $80M Grant

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Indiana school Superintendent Glenda Ritz is calling on Gov. Mike Pence to seek a preschool grant worth up to $80 million now that the U.S. Education Department has extended the application deadline to Wednesday.
 
Ritz says Indiana is among only 16 states eligible to apply for the grant worth $20 million over up to four years.
 
Ritz says the grant is a “once in a decade opportunity for Indiana to invest in a sustainable early childhood infrastructure.'' 
 
A message seeking comment was left with the governor's office.
 
An internal email obtained by The Indianapolis Star last week said the Pence administration no longer was seeking the grant because of concerns over conditions that accompany federal grants. 
 
Advocates say the grant could help Indiana serve up to 2,000 low-income children.

Related posts

Human Trafficking Awareness Initiative For The Upcoming International Men’s Football/Soccer Competition

David Scheie

Actress Meryl Streep Receives IU Honorary Degree

Kylie Havens

NACS school referendum proposal to get hearings this week, next month

Darrin Wright